In April I really wanted to get a puppy & was reminded of this today. Some gals tell me that when they hit their 30s they felt their biological clock ticking & all of a sudden had a deep desire to have a baby. Well I think I experienced a similar phenomena…when I was 23 & 10 months I had a strong desire to get a puppy. I made a list of names I brainstormed. I narrowed down a list of dog breeds & scoured the web for available puppies.
Before making the leap, I examined the reasons I wanted to get a puppy. And I quote from my April dog loving journal entry:
- I want a puppy I can take to puppy training so I can make friends with puppies (animal loving friends).
- I want a dog to take on walks…long walks when I need to think & reflect.
- Maybe I’m trying to replace my friends that are leaving with a dog.
- Maybe I’m using a dog as a means to meet people who aren’t tech people. Not too many tech entrepreneurs are people I’d see at puppy class.
- I want to take care of something, help it grow & flourish.
Why I decided not to get a dog at this time
- Selfish reasons > the selfless reasons
- It’s not fair of me to leave a dog when I’m traveling
- There are many things I want to accomplish that will take time & focus. As wonderful as it would be to train & spend time with a puppy, if I dedicate that time to accomplishing my other goals, they will be achieved sooner (& with more sleep!)
There you have it. I didn’t get a puppy. I still haven’t got a puppy. And I’m fine with that. I have a lot of other things to spend my time & money on. Like sleep. And crossfit. And food.
That being said…if you have a dog & need it walked or for someone to take it to puppy class…you know who to call!
mel, the venture gal