Today I had the honor of being a special guest at a luncheon titled “Leadership: Women’s Next Frontier” featuring guest speaker Anne Doyle. Back in the day my mom & I would hold up our 3 fingers to show a “W” & proclaim “Women Power” whenever we did something great or beat my Dad & brother in some sort of competition. There was & still is truth to that statement. Women do hold power.
Anne shared some relevant stats that are helpful in framing the discussion. Women…
- make up 52% of the world’s population
- provide 66% of the world’s output
- earn 10% of the world’s income
- own 1% of the world’s property
- hold 15% of the major leadership positions
- earn more than 60% of college degrees
- make 80% of household purchasing decisions
Reading the stats starting from the top makes it seem like women don’t hold too much power. Only 1% of the world’s property…15% of leadership positions…doesn’t sound to powerful. Make your way to that last statistic & pow! That is power! 80% of purchasing decisions.
So women buy stuff, big deal?! It is a big deal. And an even bigger deal is the growth in women leadership. We have come a long way & we’re going to continue to soar. Anne mentioned that women leaders need to have courage, political savvy, & confidence. No argument there.
With all this potential, why haven’t women exercised their power to take over the world yet & turn some of those statistics on their head?!
- Women need to be advocates for one another.
- We need to start thinking more highly of ourselves. It takes women 10 years longer than men to realize how good we are.
- Men are promoted faster & paid more, even when credentials are similar.
So for all the gals out there, remember, change is inevitable, but positive change doesn’t just happen. It requires leaders! Be a leader! “No one is going to invite you to the leadership dance. You have to invite yourself.”
Thanks Anne for inspiring today’s discussion.
Venture on gals, venture on,
mel, the venture gal